Examination: an assessment intended to measure ones' knowledge

Typical me. I'm only blogging because it's somewhat of a decent excuse for not studying.

This morning I wrote my French exam. I am not an exam person. Quite frankly, I don't know too many people that do well on exams. Sitting in a gymnasium with 200 plus students, listening to the floors creak as teachers patrol the room is not my idea of a comfortable learning environment. Listening to the clock tick second by second, trying to recall the details from that lecture on Canadian Autonomy we had back in October. It's a nightmare.

There's been a lot of talk lately about "untests", and the concept that in a number of years, tests may be obsolete. Of course, as a part of school, there needs to be some form of testing your knowledge. But is cramming for an exam, only to forget everything a few days later the best way to do it? I hope not. I'm very optimistic that my generation will be one of the last ones to be forced to use the cram and forget formula. In the near future I hope our education system can be reformed into one that is based on interactive and personalized learning, where we've developed a better way to test knowledge than a multiple choice bubble sheet.


A man known for his utmost intelligence and brilliance, even wasn't thrilled with his education:

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." -Albert Einstein

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." -Albert Einstein



There was one thing I did enjoy about my French exam this morning. No, not that I'm done French forever like the mindset that got most of the other kids through the exam. The further I got into it, the more and more excited I became to head off to a Francophone town this summer to embark on a journey of French-learning and friend making. While writing my 150 word composition on what attributes make a good friend, I realized that I really do know more French than I sometimes think I do. I'm so excited to be forced to use my 7 years of French to communicate. It will be difficult, but I'm always up for a challenge. Frederick Wilcox once said "Progress always involves risks. You can't steal second base and keep your foot on first."


I love when how when I searched images of "Trois-Pistoles" many of the images on the first page were of hockey arenas. I think TP and I might get along just fine.


Here are some photo's of the place I will call home for 5 weeks this summer:



















And this photo makes me outright ecstatic to be spending my summer here.

Well, I've procrastinated long enough, I should probably get back to studying. Sigh.

Comments

Popular Posts