Appreciation

Today, my heart aches for Jamaica. All I can think about is that tropical sea breeze, the sound of soothing Reggae music and the smell of those crystal clear waters. The freedom of waking up whenever your heart desires, and having nothing to do all day but read a book and soak up the sun. I can almost taste the fresh squeezed orange juice that was was my breakfast each morning, and I can almost feel the sand on my bare feet as I walk along the beach.

On another note; something else that's been on my mind a lot recently is the "Once Upon A Cure" gala. It was this past Saturday at the Sutton Place Hotel. And let me tell you; it was an INCREDIBLE event. The tallies aren't even finalized yet, but we're at $90 000 raised!! Aside from the fact that the majority of Vancouver's big actors and actresses were there, and that the event was being filmed for an episode of "Cupcake Girls", the vibes of the place was just inspiring. There was so much positive energy and hope towards a brighter future for children with Hunter Syndrome. I was blown away by the generosity of everyone; from raffle tickets, 50/50's, auction items and general donations, people were spitting out their cash like there's no tomorrow. In particular some of the big name celebrities, who not only agreed to come to the event, but tweeted about it leading up, cheerfully took pictures with die-hard fans, and bid $1000 on a silent auction item valued at $65. When a group of people so dedicated and passionate come together to create change, they are a force to be reckoned with. I myself was even emotional that night, so I was amazed by how well Deb, Ryan, Heather and others held their composure. The amount of work put into this event was grueling. The hours and hours spent getting sponsors, special guests, decorations, auction items, a venue... it really was an unfathomable amount of work. The fact that so many people; from friends and family of the Purcells to complete strangers came together to make this happen, restores my faith in mankind. SO much effort went into the gala, and it was absolutely worth every second. I honestly can say that I didn't even imagine the event to be as huge of a success as it was. CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL!
Here is a wonderful video on the event.

And the last topic on my blogging agenda today, is my knee. My poor right knee. Yesterday during my hockey practice, I fell in an ever so graceful manner and ended up twisting my knee in a way it is not supposed to go. At the time of the injury, it didn't actually hurt all that much. I could skate just fine, only with a little bit of pain. It wasn't until later that night when I was doing homework, sitting in the same position for hours on end, that it really began to hurt. When I got up to make myself a cup of tea, I could barely even walk to the kettle. Moral of the story is that after the pain I endured last night, I need to start being thankful when my body is at full strength. It's just like when I got my wisdom teeth out and thought of how thankful I will be when I can eat without pain again. But nothing really changed. Or when I got home from Quebec, and I thought I'd have a new appreciation for being able to communicate effortlessly. That only lasted a few hours. But it's true that I don't often realize how lucky I am to have a body that allows me to do all the things I want to do.

Comments

Popular Posts