Growing Up..

Today as I sat in the backyard I've grown up playing in, I listened to the neighbors music. The same neighbors that have also been my best friends since day one.

I read a book in the sun, but found it very hard to concentrate. Not only because of the scorching sun, but also because every time I had enough focus to get through a paragraph, that question would come up again. It's a question that has been far too familiar with me lately. At the dentist office, and the hockey rink, at the airport and in my own house: "Do you know what you want to do after high school?"

The answer is always the same. "I have no idea." or sometimes it's "Well I know nothing to do with sciences."

I've always been told that you never really need to know. It's ridiculous that society expects 17 year olds to decide what they're going to be doing for the rest of their lives. But judging by the frequency I receive this question; I'm starting to think it's an important one. And I need an answer. Soon.

But I don't have that answer, as much as I wish I did. And it's not the kind of question that you can give a half-ass answer to. This is the rest of your life we're dealing with here.

In exactly 12 months I will be beginning the next chapter of my life. Maybe moving out and going to school. Maybe traveling or working. I'm not even sure what the possibilities are, but I guess that is something I will be figuring out soon enough. Or more realistically, I'll probably never know.

Comments

  1. This is what I think.

    What I choose to do, isn't nearly as important as how I choose to do it.
    And I choose love : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lisa,
    Don't worry about what you want to be ......worry about how you want to be....the rest just happens along the way!
    Love you....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts