Growing is Forever

Peachland, British Columbia is currently being savaged by the Trepanier forest fire; 1134 people have been evacuated from their homes. Way on the other side of this beautiful country, in St.Johns Newfoundland, hurricane (or "tropical storm") Leslie is leaving people without power, tearing down fences and ripping siding off of houses. With torrential rain and wind like there's no tomorrow, it's a polar opposite from what those in the interior of BC are facing. It seems ironic that the girl I ate breakfast with this morning was on her way to her Natural Disasters class.

On the brighter side, I'm about to head off to Sustainability 1000. This is a course with 300 (mostly first-year) students, coming from sciences, history, commerce, arts, literature, computer sciences, engineering, you-name-it... No matter what the area of interest, people generally have a desire to sustain. As a guy I was chatting with on the weekend pointed out, "I think it should be mandatory for everyone to take sustainability, because if we aren't sustaining our world, then what really are we doing?" Good point.

With all the natural commotion going on throughout Canada and across the globe right now, we might just need a reminder about how incredible our natural world is:

 

It's September of 2012, the month I begin my university career. My objective in studying ESS (Environment, Sustainability and Society), is be a part- no matter how big, or how small- in assuring that we never see Dr.Suess' quote from the Lorax come true.

"Way back in the days when the grass was still green 
and the pond was still wet 
and the clouds were still clean, 
and the song of the Swomee-Swans rang out in space ... 
one morning, I came to this glorious place. 
And I first saw the trees!" 

So as September rolls into full swing; with assignments and readings piling up and stress levels beginning to soar, I am challenging myself -as I am challenging you- to take time to get outside. Not only taking time for yourself; but taking time to enjoy a greenspace, get some fresh air, watch birds sing their songs, get your hands dirty in the cabbage patch, observe the waves of the Atlantic ocean, or take a stroll through the public gardens. Whatever it is; I've made a promise to myself, that if I am ever in need, I will not neglect my desire to get outside... in fact, I will make it a conscious effort. Nature, after all, is what makes us humane.

Comments

Popular Posts