In Solidarity

Standing on the 99, backpack on the floor between my feet, headphones in listening to a Spotify playlist I curated. The bus driver is repeatedly announcing over the loud speaker,
"This bus will be re-routing - right on Oak, left on 12th, left on Granville, and back onto Broadway. Due to protesters blocking the intersection of Cambie and Broadway."
I was on my way home from a long day at school. My plans were to go to the gym to let it all go.

With the inundation of atrocities happening to Indigenous people lately - arrested for opening a bank account, met with violence and aggression for trying to defend and protect unceded lands, the fact that the Blackhawks and Redskins names/logos are still kicking. Considering all this has been weighing down upon me, I overwhelming felt that I needed to show up for this solidarity action with the Wet'suwet'en.

The most common misunderstanding, in my opinion, is that these demonstrations are "anti-pipeline protests". Perhaps they started as a solidarity movement with the Unistot'en land defenders, but have since turned into so much more than that. "Reconciliation is Dead" was one of the underlying themes at this action. Indigenous people, who have lived on this land for time immemorial, are being violently arrested for trying to protect sacred water and land for future generations. They are being held at gun point. Arrested and detained. That is not okay, and this is what the movement is speaking up against. Cultural genocide. Systemic and blatant racism.

As I walked eastbound down Broadway, I approached the mass of people peacefully occupying all four sides of the intersection in a unified circle. Within 5 minutes of being there, I was overcome with emotions - of all kinds - and my eyes were welling up. Gratitude for all the people who have dedicated so much of their time and energy to these actions. Rage against the government and the RCMP for using such unnecessary violence. Hurt for the people that are feeling the impacts of this racism deeply. Sadness that I belong to the group of uninvited settlers, some of whom colonized this land and committed mass atrocities against the First Peoples. Disappointment at the little efforts that have been made to reach a mutual understanding or agreement on the Coastal Gas Link situation. Memories of my time working and living in Inuit communities who have colonial legacies that continue to rear their ugly heads in the form of inter-generational trauma and hurt; but communities who thrive nonetheless, maintaining strong cultural practices, speaking and teaching Inuktitut, living off the land, despite the repeated attempts to strip these customs from the people.
People gonna rise like the water, we're gonna shut this pipeline down.
I hear the voice of my great granddaughter, saying keep it in the ground.
The sound of these protest songs ring through my ears as these thoughts race through my head and tears well up in my eyes. This community of land defenders and their supporters is so strong, so brave, so compassionate, so resilient; I am in awe. Truly inspired, and yet equally disheartened that this is what it has come to.

Comments

Popular Posts