savouring social distancing times

It's 3:32pm on a Friday. I am sitting in our home "office"/camping, ski, hockey, outdoor gear storage room. I have just made a cup of afternoon coffee and am trying to do the required readings for my "Health, Illness, and Occupation" course before writing a 5 question mini-quiz on Acquired Brain Injury. I'm finding it very hard to focus (as I often do); intensified by the nature of this new virtual education delivery. I have been attempting to read the 12 pages of this pilot study for the last 2 hours...

We are on day 11 of "physical distancing", "self-isolation", "social distancing", whatever you want to call it. Staying at home. It's hard to believe it's been that long - I had to double and triple count how long it's been since we've been in this altered state of living. Some moments, I am feeling appreciative of this gift of spare time to practice my braille skills, to learn how to do embroidery, to exercise (at home), and watch some movies that have been on my list. And then other moments, I have these feelings of extreme cabin fever, worry, panic that this might go on for too long. And then I settle into this stillness once again and think this slower pace of life is not such a bad thing. I am finding many joys amidst the chaos of this global crisis.

I have been in love with the words of Kitty O'Meara, the Poet Laureate of the pandemic (as deemed by Oprah), in her poem that has gained much attention online. (take a read!)

With this gift of excess free time, I have taken up embroidery. Thanks to the many folks on YouTube/Skillshare that have fantastic tutorial videos for beginners like me.





Going on lots of walks and enjoying the simple things, like spring flowers on the neighbours lawn:



Reveling in those rainy morning hikes with Ceej. Spending time appreciating the incredible temperate rain forest that we are so lucky to live near.



Time to cook/bake delicious meals and be experimental in the kitchen. Made my first loaf of bread (so proud!), and some bomb potato rosemary flatbread. We made homemade baba ghanoush and Mediterranean baked sweet potato and chickpeas - this meal was supposed to be accompanied by more homemade carbs; pita bread. However, I neglected to read the whole recipe before endeavoring to make them and didn't realize that the dough would take 2 hours to rise.... on the bright side: breakfast pitas the following day!




Time to practice my braille literacy skills, which to my pleasant surprise have not diminished drastically. Still working on a trick for how to distinguish the "of" and "with" contractions.



Turning the kitchen/living room into a yoga studio. Appreciating technology that can bring my favourite yoga instructors and classes right into my home.


Virtual hang-outs with my pals and turd. Yes, we are mature young adults...



I do feel deeply for people who have compromised immune systems, or those who have OCD which manifests in intense and debilitating fear of germs, those who are elderly, or those who have limited social supports, those who live in isolation, or those who live in homes with domestic violence. I feel for those who have lost loved ones and aren't able to grieve with their family and friends due to the risk of contracting the virus themselves. I feel for my own grandmother who has dementia and lives in a long-term care home where visitors are not permitted at this time. I feel for those who are out of work or are small business owners who are struggling to make ends meet.

There are so many people I worry for during these unprecedented times. One of my classmates during a recent online tutorial session commented that she has been having a hard time coping with all this because of "... the throes of being an empath". I thought that was such a beautiful way to encapsulate the feelings of pain and worry for others, while recognizing that she was personally doing alright and even enjoying this break from her day-to-day.

Don't get me wrong - I would love to see my friends, and go out for a beer at a local brewery, to have picnics on the beach, and hug my family. But I am finding gratitude in many places through this slower pace of life.

I am grateful that I share a space with a loving partner to keep me entertained and to share these strange times with. Feeling grateful that we have backyard space that we have been using to exercise, play catch, and to sit in the sunshine. I'm grateful that I have a car and can get out to the forest for the odd hike (responsibly), and a bike that I can use to move my restless soul. Grateful for my mother who delivers us piles of fresh vegetables after she stocks up at Costco (not hoarding!).

I'm feeling as though this "social distancing" has forced us to ride a different wavelength. We are tuned in to a different frequency for the time being. Find joy where you can.

Comments

Popular Posts