Quote Queens

I've always been a lover of words, poems, quotes, lyrics. A few of my all-time favourite quotes are:
  • "Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” -John Muir
  • "Follow your inner moonlight, don't hide the madness." - Allen Ginsberg, "Howl"
Likewise, I've always been fascinated by people who have a quote at the end of their email signature. It's as if this quote means so much to them that it must not be excluded from any written communication they dispatch. I feel there is a certain level of passion in quotes-in-email-signature people. I don't know if I could pull it off, but I've noticed that I'm drawn to people who do. My dear friend Cat has had the following two throughout recent months:
  • "Normality is a paved road: it's comfortable to walk but no flowers grow." - Vincent van Gogh 
  • "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -XIV Dali Lama
One of my incredible professors from OT school displayed these at the tail of each of her emails:
  • "An educated person knows what their gifts are and how to give them in the world." - Dr. Robin Wall Kimmerer 
  • "We find out the heart only be dismantling what the heart knows. By redefining the morning, we find a morning that comes just after darkness. ...We must unlearn the constellations to see the stars." - Jack Gilbert
My vision-mate-turned-friend-turned-soul-sister, Milena, broadcasts these:
  • "At the still point, there the dance is." - T.S. Eliot 
  • "She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together." - J.D. Salinger, "A Girl I Knew"

And now, someone I interact with through my work - whom I always (falsely) interpreted to be a bit of a grouch - but whom showed such kindness and empathy today: 

  • "Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." - Dalai Lama **followed by a clipart picture of a Nova Scotia duck tolling retriever.

Now that is something I can get behind. Wouldn't the world be just a little bit brighter if everyone included clip art of their favourite dog to conclude all emails. Just think about it.

Comments

Popular Posts