Meet Monty!

This title were the words on Meant2BLoved's post that he was available for adoption when I first fell in love with him.

Close of photo of Monty (a 10ish month old German Shepherd mix) sitting in the back seat of a car. Sun is shining though the car windows and making a shine off his mostly black fur. The bottom half of his legs are brown, otherwise he is mostly black.

Allow me to introduce my sweet, sassy, silly, four-legged fur-friend:

Monty

Monty lies on the carpeted floors in front of a brick wall. A "treasure chest"-type piece of furniture sits behind him with a vase of dried flowers sitting on it, a candle, and an image of a girl blowing bubbles. Monty is looking at the camera with an innocent looking face. His front legs are stretched out long in front of him, while his rear legs are curled underneath his body.

Close up selfie of Lisa giving Monty a big hug. Lisa's arms gently wrapped around Monty's neck. His face is mostly back, with accents of brown trailing along his jawline. He is gazing off into the distance with a shiny wet nose and his tongue sticking 5-inches out of his mouth. Whiskers protrude! His sweet black ears are half way raised. Lisa is positioned behind Monty with a twinkle in her eye, sun reflecting off her pale-white skin. Hair up in a messy bun; navy blue fleece sweater covered in layers of dog fur.

Monty sits nicely for a photo with a backdrop of the Rocky Mountains from Kootenay National Park.

Monty is taking a break while out on a walk, to lie in the snow and chew on a large stick. The image shows a stick about 3 feet long hanging out of Monty's mouth.

Interests: sticks, chasing his tail, peeing in my/friends'/grandma's houses

Fears: light reflecting off his name tag, the vaccum (purchased particularly to clean up his fur), shovelling snow

I've had the pleasure of being with Monty for almost a month now. The number of photos of him in my camera roll would make one believe he's been around for a decade.

This is my level of excitement when I first picked him up from his wonderful foster family for a "trial" weekend:

Selfie of Lisa and Monty from the inside of a car. Lisa has a big grin on her face in the drivers seat, while Monty lies in the back seats with a baby blue harness on. His tongue is sticking out.

I was in the process of trying to adopt Monty, convincing my landlord that his 65lb mass qualifies him as a medium sized dog, and internally debating whether a dog was a good idea in my life right now. When one morning I was doing my daily Wordle with my cup of coffee... and this happened. I knew it was a sign. He has to be mine.

Screenshot image of a game of Wordle. The list of guesses are as follows: ARSON, NOTED, TONIC, MONTY, MONTH, with the fourth guess "Monty" circled in red.

My lovely Grandmother recently hosted me for a weekend visit to her place. When I called to ask her if I could bring Monty along for the trip, she was hesitant, stating that she has never had a dog in her home before. Being from a farm, dogs were strictly outdoor creatures. After she consulted with some friends and family, she called me back to inform me that she could make a special exception to her lifelong rule, only because I was a grandchild. Despite three seperate instances of urinating on her floors (carpet included), I think Grandma Hanna fell in love with Monty. She'll never admit that she enjoyed having a pup in the house, but I think feeding him waffles every morning would indicate otherwise.

Image of two older, grey-haired women (Great Auntie Cathy & Grandma Hanna) seated on a couch. Sitting on the floor between them is Monty looking smug & content.

I was warned that Grandma Paulie isn't a big fan of dogs. So what does Monty do but the instant Grandma sits down in the car, he gives her a smooch on the cheek. Grandma was not mortified at all. In fact, she giggled and excitedly proclaimed "he likes me". He boosted her self-worth.

A small white-haired woman (Grandma Paulie) stands awkwardly beside Monty who is sitting on the carpet while Grandma Paulie gives him a pat on the head and poses for a photo.

There have been lots of questions about how Monty has been getting along with Ricky. Well, Monty loves anybody or anything who's willing to play with him. When I sent this picture to Cheech, her reply said it all: "Ricky looks annoyed in the picture. Like someone (Monty) is raining on his parade. (laughs)... Any Monty looks blissfully unaware that he's pissing him off." This may or may not be an accurate depiction of their relationship thus far. 

Ricky (an 11-month old black-and-white border collie) & Monty sit in the back of a Jeep. Photo taken from the angle of the front passenger seat. Ricky is looking solemnly at the camera while Monty sits beside him looking happy with his tongue out.

How could you not adore that sweet face resting in my lap?

Close-up image of just Monty's head resting between Lisa's legs while she sits on the floor. One paw is up on her lap as well. Monty looks tired, like he is about to fall asleep.

On my "trial" weekend with Monty, we went for a visit to OverTime Beer Works here in Kimberley to meet a friend for a flight. The server was giving Monty brewery-made dog treats, practically by the dozen. She payed the patio extra special attention so she could get her fill of puppy love. We chatted about how I was trying to adopt him, just needing to have him approved (and deemed a medium-sized dog) by my landlord. Everyone who overheard this conversation offered to be references for Monty.. "give your landlord our numbers.. this is a medium-sized dog". 
 
Image of Monty from across the picnic-table. Monty is sitting up on the bench of the picnic table in front of a flight of beers of a variety of colours. Monty is posing for a photo with his ears flopped down. A blue leash hangs off him to his right.

I went back to OverTime a few weeks later and the instant the server saw Monty she excitedly proclaimed, "I saw the post by Meant2BLoved that Monty was adopted!!". Then ensued more beer-byproduct dog treats.

I am currently typing away to the rhythm of his soft snore. Just as he inspires me in so many ways, this is his gentle way of reminding me that it's time to rest.

Image of Monty sleeping on a couch with his head & paws resting on a hand-knitted toque. He looks tuckered out after a long hike.

Comments

Popular Posts