Sanctuaries & Savouring

I recently met with a client and they described to me how they have been working with their counsellor on making their home into a sanctuary (... to support feelings of safety and nervous system regulation). This got me thinking, as someone generally has *decent* mental health (and by nature of being human is susceptible to declining mental health), I should work towards creating sanctuaries of my own. This doesn't have to be in my home, or perhaps doesn't need to be a physical location at all. Could it be perhaps more of a mindset? Savouring moments that fulfill a sanctuary within. 

Work has had it's ups and downs lately - some days I am left reflecting how grateful I am to work in this profession, and others I am feeling lost, unsure which direction to take. One thing I've come to deeply appreciate is some of the personal growth I've consequently been doing through my work with clients. An exercise I've done with clients a lot lately is a "Flavouring & Savouring" activity; working to identify one's core values, and then sprinkling (*flavouring*) those values into interactions and daily activities. The next step is to take a moment to pause and reflect *savouring* the fact that you are living by your values and notice how that flavour changes, enhances, modifies your activities. Give that moment your full attention - just like savouring your favourite food or music.


Yesterday I had a bit of time to kill between client sessions. Sometimes I use that time to do documentation, check my emails, or sometimes it is spent scrolling through Instagram. But yesterday, I decided to use those 27 minutes to take a stroll and soak in some fresh air. My phone's camera can't quite capture it, but the cloud formations were magnificent. They lifted my spirit, boosted my energy.


Comments

Popular Posts